Monday, September 15, 2008

Threat of Ike chases us Indoors - Saturday Sept 13

Saturday's workout was supposed to be 70 miles. But given Ike was on its way, we moved the ride indoors at TPC. So, 70 miles translated to 3 1/2 hours on the trainer... I had left my road bike there from Thursday, so I didn't have to hassle with it in the morning getting ready. Dee was already out on the road with her 20 mile run, by the time I left for TPC (7am).
I got there a few minutes before 7:30, and although the parking lot wasn't full, when I drove in, I saw a swarm of bikes/riders just entering the building. I knew I was late, and would have to setup in the back, with an not so good trainer.
I unloaded the car, my stuff, my drinks (two Endurance/electrolyte bottles, 1 gatorade bottle, 1 water bottle, and my recovery drink. When I got inside, Chrissie pointed out a trainer I could take (T3 has about 30-40 trainers they bought, plus there are about 15-20 trainers from T3ers). I setup in the back fairly quickly, so I was on my bike at 7:45 pedaling. There was a guy next to me, Tom, whom I hadn't met before, but we started chatting quickly.
On weekend spins, the coaches usually play movies to make the time pass. So, the first movie of the day was Wedding Crashers. I'd seen it several times before, but still enjoyed watching it again. Also, Chrissie passed out a 2 hour workout, to help pass the boredom. She handed it me, but I told her I couldn't read the small type. She went back and enlarged the print, and gave it back to me. All the workouts were in plastic covers to stay dry.
So, between the movie, the workout, and the conversation with Tom, the first two hours passed very quickly. I took a quick break after the movie, getting a banana, and refilling my water. Every hour I made sure I drank at least a bottle of fluids and took a Gu or candybar. If I was drinking Gatorade or water, I also took an Endurolyte.
Back on the bike for the last 1 1/2 hours. Next movie was the Hawaii Kona Ironman 2006 Championship, when Desiree Ficker came in second. Very moving movie, as they show the pros and the human interest story. One of the stories was about someone with ALS, whom completed the Ironman the year before, but this year he came to watch someone from another part of the country who was racing for him! And ALS! My brother Ken, died from ALS, at 26 years old, so it was an emotional scene.
Tom and I talked some more about races we'd done, and were planning on doing. That helped passed the time. We were at 2 3/4 hours, when the seat was getting uncomfortable. We were adjusting our position, aero bars, handle bars, straight up, nearly every minute. We hit 3 hours, and Tom was getting off. I wanted to finish my 3 1/2 hours, so I made up a 20 minute workout, of spending a minute in every gear, 30 secs hard, 30 secs easy. It worked, and the last 5-10 minutes was just spinning the legs, and cooling down!
When I got off the bike, I noticed a river of sweat, making its way to the seating area, so I cleaned it up quick. Maurice, who was spinning by himself had setup two big towels as dams, so the sweat wouldn't run downhill! Now I know why!
I stretched, talked to Travis for a bit, then headed home. Good workout!

No comments: