Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Brrrrr - Swim Practice, Monday Sept 15

Swim practice tonight at Lost Creek. The kiddos get done on time, so we get started on time! David, my son, is with me, and Chrissie puts him in the same lane. I get in the pool first, and brrrrrrr! Its fricken cold today! Heaters not turned on for the pool yet, so with the cool day, the pool drops in temp. Gotta start swimming quick!
Chrissie is the coach today, and she doesn't have copy of the workout. So, its a surprise. 15om warmup, 4 x 150 drills.
In my lane is David, Ivonne, Laura, and Travis. Busy lane tonight. After warmup, starts the workout. 3 x 200m, decreasing times! Travis and Laura are the fastest and I go third. I can never keep up with the swimmers in my lane, but I don't fall far behind. David and Ivonne are behind me.
After the 200s, is a 500m Swim with fins. Ivonne takes off and I follow behind her. David struggles with cramps.
Next set is 6 x 100m decreasing times. The fast ones take off, Laura and Travis. Then Ivonne and me. David is just trying to get by the cramps and keep up. Chrissie tells me to increase my turnover of my arms, while keeping the long stroke. It finally clicks what I need to do, and it helps. The last 100, I finally get to 1:50.
After the 100s, is a 500m with paddles and buoy. My specialty, so I take off. Ivonne is right behind me, and then the swimmers. I lap everyone except Ivonne, and she stops a 50 short because she is freezing cold.
I swim an 50 cooldown, and felt pretty good afterward. David is trying to figure out why he's cramping, but its deja vu, as I went through the same thing when I started.
3000m total.