Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Long Run. Sunday Sept 7th

After yesterdays Practiceman, my legs were pretty beat up. I decided to run the trails, like the rest of T3, and do the 7 mile loop, and the 5 mile loop for 12 miles. The morning was cool, 69 deg, and I got started at 7:15. The first mile was just loosening up my legs,....too much lactic acid from yesterday. But after a mile, I forgot about my legs and concentrated on form, and going easy. I stopped for my own water at 3 miles, and took a Gu. Then off again. The Riverside Hill, and the hills on the trail weren't that bad. I stayed at an easy pace.. I'm guessing around 9:30.
I stopped again at 6 miles (Lamar foot bridge) to get another Gu, water, and electrolytes. The last mile to AHS wasn't bad, and then I stopped for a water refill, water break, and more electrolytes. Took about 3 minutes for all that, then off again. My legs felt pretty good, and I started again across the bridge to Congress bridge. I stopped at the water stop at 1st street, and took in a Gu and some water. Still feeling pretty good. I made it to the Congress bridge, crossed it, and went down the stairs back to the trail. I started up again, but started getting near cramps in both my hamstrings. I struggled the last two miles, walk/jog to finish. I'd jog until my legs were about to cramp, then walk. It took me 21 minutes to finish the last 2 miles. But I did finish, and felt good about it.
During the run, the T3ers who run on Sunday, were running in the opposite direction. I passed a number of them several times. On the last two miles, Jennifer, from the bike ride the day before, stopped and said Hey! We chatted for about a minute, then she took off on her run. I was still trying to shake the cramps.
Got home quickly to get into my ice bath and try and cool down!
With my tired legs, I got a good feeling about how the tri will feel. Big difference is the run at Longhorn is all hills, and no flats.. unlike the trail. So, my plan is the get some hill runs in this week. Probably Wednesday and the long run on Sunday.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Hmph! Maybe I need to join T3.
Dee (the maid)

Priscilla said...

Ooo, I need a maid!! Steve, does she cook well??