Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm not a distance runner! Sunday, Sept 16

Today's workout was 14 miles on the trail.... 2 x 7 mile loops. I got an early start, ,while it was still dark, and the parking lot pretty empty.. around 6:45. I had two water bottles on my belt, 5 Gu's, lots of endurolytes, and my ipod.
I took off running on the north side of the river. My legs had been tired all week, so I kept saying go slow! It was dark, so I left the glasses on top of my head and headed out. There were only a few runners on the trail so it was nice and relaxing. I caught a few bugs, in my eyes, in my mouth (ugh, too early for protein). I decided that at my first stop (2 1/2 miles), I'd put the sunglasses on. I warmed up, and the legs felt ok as I stopped at 2 1/2 miles for Gu, and water. Took about 90 secs, and off again. Next stop was 1st street water stop, or at 5 miles. I didn't bother to stop for their water, and instead used my last bottle, for Gu, and electrolytes. Still feeling ok, and going at about a 9 - 9:15 pace. Two miles left for the first leg, and I kept it at a nice easy pace.
As I neared bridge, I started seeing familiar faces. Shawnda was running, although she said she wasn't feeling all that well. I saw Travis zoom past me, as well as the fast T3ers. When I got to Austin High, I refilled my water bottles, drank 4 or more cups of water, and Gu'd up again. Still feeling ok.
Second lap I decided to head the opposite direction, so I headed off across the bridge to the South side. As I got off the bridge, I heard footsteps behind me, and my legs decided to go faster. It was comfortable, so I kept it up for a while. I figured I'd see how long it would last. Well, it only lasted one mile, but that mile was 8:15. Too fast for me. I slowed at the end of the mile, and took it easy until the water stop at 1st st bridge. As I was about to stop for water, I ran into Shawnda again, and said hey!
As I was leaving the water stop, I had an unusual feeling in my stomach, and decided to make this a bathroom stop. I never have to stop when I workout, so this was unusual. Two bathrooms, and 4 guys waiting. We were using both men and women's bathroooms! Whew!
I headed out again, and ran into another old buddy, George Barczak, from a Rouge training class 5 years ago. We gave high fives as we passed each other. Also saw the fast T3ers passing again.
And before I left the trail, I ran into Carolyn Mangold... always smiling, and she said hi.
I'm on mile 10, headed up the Riverside Hill. Ugh... decided to walk, but then only a few seconds, and jogged up the hill. Whoopee! On the second loop, I decided to stop for Gu every 2 miles, so, I was gearing for about a 1/2 mile after I got back on the trail. I just made it, to 11 miles, and time for Gu and water. My legs were not pretty spent.
I was able to get another mile in, easy, and passed Chrissie... and her very tight form, as she was running in the opposite direction. But that was it for me, and the last two miles were walk/jog in. My hamstrings were starting to cramp again, so I'd jog until they were about to cramp. I also was fighting cramps in my arms too.
I was happy to finish 14 miles, but I knew that I still have a long way to go, to get strong enough to do these long runs. Oh, marathon training is going to be hard!
When I got home, Dee had my bath ready, and I dumped the two bags of ice in it. I got in, and it was as cold as I've ever had. But it does wonders for the muscles. After my bath, and shower, I went and got my 14 inch Delaware sub. Yum...great recovery sandwich. Time for my recovery NAP!
When I woke up, Dee came home and asked how I was doing. I told her I was still fight cramps! So Dr Dee got the electrolytes, Gatorade, and water. Shortly thereafter, no more cramping. The muscles all calmed down!
Lesson learned! Take more electrolytes. I probably need one every 30 to 45 minutes, minimum!
Easier week ahead, but I need to continue getting in mileage..

3 comments:

Dee said...

Running 14 miles on the trail takes alot of discipline. Good job you!

Priscilla said...

And running loops on the trail takes more patience than Shaniqua.

StephW said...

Great job!!! Just a suggestion..I usually take electrolytes the night before my long run (bedtime) as well as before with breakfast, during, and right after my run. I usually never get craps.