Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Beginning

I'm not sure there is a start here. My way of life has always been very active, although part of my life was actually coaching my kids baseball teams. Before turning 50, I got the crazy idea to do one triathlon. I started swimming in October 2006, and tried running again. In May 2007 I entered the Rookie Triathlon. I was scared to death, but finished. My running was not ready, because I tored a calf muscle, but I was able to jog and walk to the finish. My competitive side said that I could do better, and hence, my triathlon career was born.
My love, Dee, had pushed me to go to Advanced Rehab. There, Dr. Holt did wonders with my knee. He tortured me for 8 weeks, and loosened up my IT band, broke up 10 years of scar tissue, and gave me enough flexibilty to run. I also did some gym work, to strengthen my body, and worked with Kneadz to develop my core. The rest was working with T3, Chrissie and Maurice.
The rest of 2007 was trying 1 more triathlon, and again still was not ready to run. But as I finished, and whenever I finish, I learn more about my body, and about triathlons.

I decided to learn how to run again, and joined Rogue half marathon training. My wife and I decided to target New Orleans in February 2008. This worked out great, with Nedra. My legs were getting used to running again, but with the weak right leg, I ran into problems in December. My right knee, (ACL reconstruction), was swelling and giving me new pains. A quick visit to my original surgeon, said that the knee was structurally sound, with a little arthritis on the outside. The pain I was feeling, on the inside, was some over use. Ah, another thing to understand... hills ok, but not every run!

During one of my massages at Kneadz, Rachael noticed that I needed some work on my right side. She hooked me up with the PT/Trainer, Breven. What a find that was. She was terrific. She gave me 2-3 week homework, a core workout to do 2-3 times a week. I was religious with it, and it helped me tremendously. We continued this, for about 6 months.

I continued swimming over the winter, but didn't bike. So after the half marathon, I started up my triathlon training. In 2008, I've done an Olympic distance in Galveston in March, The Rookie in May, Cap Tex Olympic in May. Learned a bunch from these races. All to get ready for my half Ironman in July.

July comes, and we're off to California. Dee has a 20 miler to run the day before, so I pack up what I think she needs, and map out a course for her. I had a blast being her water stop, every 3 miles or so. I'd drive up ahead, open the back of the SUV, and sit and wait, listening to music, or reading my race package.
Sunday was race day. The race was very cool (both temperature, and generally). I had issues on each of the disciplines (wetsuit came undone on the swim, I couldn't take in nutrition or fluids on the bike, and forgot my nutrition for the run. I bonked on the run, but made it about getting to the next mile marker. I finished, and was very thankful for that. Again, learned a lot about myself, and the long race.

Took a week off, and started running again, and got a sharp pain in my right hip. Ugh.... after a couple of visits to Advanced Rehab (Wagenblast), we figured out what it was. As of today, I am released from treatment, and started running ,easy, again.

My goal ahead is the Longhorn half. Not for time, but for another learning experience.

As for running, I trust Rogue more than I do T3. T3 is a great, and I do mean, great, organization for Triathlon training. Their philosophies are to hammer during every workout. While they wont admit it, that's what happens. My body can't handle that kind of training, at least not yet. So, for running, I look to Rogue. I've hired my wife's coach, who is brutally hard, as far as workouts go. But, she puts some sense into it.
Why a running coach? I've signed up for an Ironman next June, in Idaho (CDA). Yes, started out just wanting to do one race, and now look! My confidence is not high that I can finish a marathon with my leg issues, but if anyone can get me there, its Killer Karen.
I start her training the week after Longhorn, to prepare for a January marathon, in Houston. My goal is to finish, and have a good base for Ironman training. We'll see.

So, the blog is about getting to the Ironman. I have PT help from Wagenblast. I have running help from Karen. I have Swim/bike help from Chrissie and Maurice. Massages at Kneadz, although I was told to look into Performance Wellness as they are significantly cheaper. My core work will come from the workouts that Breven left behind before she moved to Calif. And of course, my personal coach, wife and best friend, Dee.

Onward we go.....

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

Uh, what about thanking your 3rd wife?? Don't I get any credit for your awesomeness????

Dee said...

NO...you don't!

StephW said...

Yay Team Vasquez!!!

Amy said...

Ooh. Courtney and I are doing Karen's short course for Houston, too!